That was a day and a half

Another eventful day for the CWB team! 

We arrived at Chania Boys school who had kindly given us access to their field around 8:30am, ready to start a day of Coach Education with some local teachers. First of all we were invited to go and meet the school principal who gave us an introduction to the school explaining its strict anti drugs policy, with many of the children travelling from slums in Nairobi to attend the school. We signed the guest book and made our way to the sports field to be greeted by the teachers who had travelled to the school.

It was soon clear to us that the teachers were new to cricket and they were shy at first. Once we had introduced a warm up game they were a lot more relaxed and keen to start learning more about the game. Leigh was brilliant as usual, taking charge of the Coaching and explaining things well with the help of our Swahili speaking cricket ambassador Nicholas. 


After a few drills and skills and an interesting first attempt at pairs cricket- it was time for some lunch provided to us by the school. 


As the afternoon went on the questions flooded in from the teachers who were all so keen to learn more. The first day of coach ed went on until around 4pm, with the quote of the day coming from one of the local teachers. Worn out staggering back to the gazeebo put up for us on the field, "wow that was a day and a half".

During the afternoon Reilly, Kelly, Sammie, Richard, Laura and I went to Thika Memorial School, a local primary school. We were expecting 300 children but this soon turned into 672, just a small difference. 


This session can be best described as organised chaos. The children were very excited on our arrival and had to be herded by their very authorititive sports coordinator armed with a whistle! 


The girls delivered the HIV/AIDS messages really well with the children repeating after us and joining in with actions acted out by Kelly. 

We broke up into groups of 4 with the children split into year groups and managed to deliver something that resembled cricket mildly. The madness turned into 2 more organised games of "Hit the Stumps" and the children enjoyed this competing against eachother in year groups. Once we were all worn out we managed to calm the children down enough to deliver a vital HIV/AIDS demonstration relating it to different cricket shots. With such a large group of children this was really important as we needed to leave the school sure that we had made the children aware of the reason we had came. 

Worn out but happy with another great day we headed back to the hotel. Unfortunately another 3 hour wait for dinner occured, which means as i am writing this there are some grumpy faces around! No doubt they will be up bright and early smiling again!


Loving our time in Kenya – a different experience every day! 





Thika memorial school

One comment to “That was a day and a half”
  1. Hey everyone, I have just caught up on the blogs, sorry I have been quiet lately, been sooo busy as you have 🙂 try and buy some food during the day if you can, really important to keep those tummies full in case dinner doesn't deliver. Every day is different it seems, loving the photos and I've seen the one on Facebook today about the huge school assembly, mental! Very, very well done everyone so far, high fives, belly bumps and knuckle booms all round. Keep going team Kenya xx

Comments are closed.