Fund raising

£1400 was the fundraising target set for 2017 Rwanda project, this was to cover flights, accommodation, transport in country as well as any medical injections that were required before departing. All we would then need to find money for was food & drink once in Rwanda.

Yes £1400 is a lot of money to raise but with the help and support of Sarah Todd and Jo Clarke we planned events that broke down this sum in to more manageable chunks.

We set clear targets for when a certain amount of money was required. After weeks of planning and organising our first event was held at the university student bar and we ran a sports quiz.

The event was a success and we received our first amount of fundraising money. Not only did this event kick start the fundraising but it brought us together as a group as we had to work with each other to ensure the event ran smoothly.

The next group activity was the Harewood house 10k and Half-Marathon which was a fantastic event, I completed the half marathon, whilst the others ran the 10k, friends and family supported and sponsored getting us ever closer to the target.

After completing the first two events as a group it was now time to start fundraising on our own.  I started selling old football programmes and tea sets, unbelievably two programmes were worth £100 each after selling these items I reached a sum of £800 just over half way there.

I continued selling unwanted items and I got in touch with the Bradford Oddfellows friendly society who I have been a member of since birth. They then donated £300 towards my target, in return I will attend one of the weekly meetings and give a presentation about the trip and the work the charity achieves. Each member of the team also set up a Just Giving page to receive individual donations from family and friends.

Three members of the team ran netball tournaments against university staff and the rugby league team. Both matches were a massive success and raised lots of money towards their targets.

Alongside these other events such as car washes and quizzes were completed.

Our weekly meetings allowed each of us to monitor our progress in relation to the targets set at the beginning. All targets were successfully reached due to the organisation and motivation of each member of the team. Rwanda here we come!!!